Volatile carbosilanes are: the preeminent precursors for
- Silicon carbide films and buffer layers
- SiCO:H films for low-k barrier layers and etch-stop
- Carbon-doped (tensile-strained) silicon
- Silicon carbonitride utilized in passivation of silicon-based photovoltaics
- ALD promoted patterning and seed layers
By appropriate selection of the carbosilane precursor and deposition conditions the silicon carbide framework can be shifted toward substituted silicon and diamond-like structures.
Carbosilanes are compounds in which the elements of silicon and carbon alternate in a molecular framework or polymeric backbone in an approximate ratio of 1:1 according to the following general structure: